You may have seen recent news regarding the WannaCry ransomware virus. This virus is expected to have significant impact in the coming days.
Protect your data by:
- Avoid clicking on links or opening attachments or emails from people you don’t know or companies you don’t do business with
- Ensure you have smart screen (in Internet Explorer) turned on, which helps identify reported phishing and malware websites and helps you make informed decisions about downloads
- Ensure that the pop-up blocker is running on your web browser
- If you save documents to your local computer, regularly backup your important files. For those clients who do not use Xcentric Managed Security Services:
- Make sure your Windows Operating System is up-to-date
- Make sure your Windows Server Operating Systems are up-to-date
- Xcentric has performed the necessary updates to Xcentric Cloud-based servers and all of workstations managed under the Managed Security Services (aka. Managed Workstation Service).
Spreading of this Ransomware strain starts through the normal routes. A spam email is sent containing a malicious link or a malicious document. Once a target activates the malware by either clicking the link or opening the document the malware will hold the computer hostage until a ransom is paid. It does this by encrypting all of the files on the system with an encryption key.
Once a ransom is paid a decryption key is supplied to the customer to decrypt the computer and its files.
For more information on WannaCry virus, continue reading the article originally posted by For more information on WannaCry virus, continue reading the article originally posted by Redsocks.eu.
Please contact the Xcentric Support team for any additional assistance.